1 large head cabbage
1 lb organic or lean ground meat
2 cups brown rice, cooked to package directions
1 large white onion, chopped
tomato puree (I pureed fresh tomatoes) or 3 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce (no sugar added)
2 tsp. olive or coconut oil
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1. In large pan, saute garlic and onions in oil until translucent and soft.
2. Stir in ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook thoroughly.
3. Add in spices, cooked rice, tomatoes (reserving about 1 cup of tomato puree) and mix well.
4. Remove pan from heat.
5. If you haven't already, remove the leaves from the head of cabbage, or chop into large pieces.
6. Arrange cabbage and beef mixture in layers in a large, coated baking dish, beginning and ending with meat sauce. Pour remaining tomato puree over the top of the casserole. Cover with foil or lid to bake. Bake at 350 for 30 min to 1 hour, until cabbage is to desired texture.