Sunday, February 5, 2012
1 box (or can) 14 1/2 oz Stewed tomatoes
1 tsp olive or coconut oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c barley
1 c water (divided)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 can black beans
1 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp lime juice
Fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste
1. (Optional) Put the tomatoes in food processor and puree.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over med heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute 5 min.
3. Stir in barley, tomatoes, 1 cup water, and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered until liquid has been absorbed; stir ofen
4. Continue to add water, about 1/2 c at a time, as needed. Total cook time should be about 40 minutes; barley should be tender, yet still firm (not mushy). Add beans with about 15 min left of cooking.
5. Stir in cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper.