Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Turkey Thai Meatloaf
Olive oil cooking spray
1 whole wheat pita
4 oz whole wheat organic spaghetti
2 tsp EVOO
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
3/4 to 1 lb ground turkey
1 flax egg
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
3 tsp cilantro
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into fine circles
2 green onions, trimmed into thin circles
1. Lightly mist loaf pan with cooking spray (I used 2 for this recipe to make a thinner loaf). Set aside. Cover baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Rip pita into bite sized peices and place in food processor to make bread crumbs. Set aside
3. Prepare spaghetti according to package. Drain and toss with 1 tsp olive oil. Lay out, well spread without clumps, onto baking sheet.
4. heat remaining oil in pan and add mushrooms to saute for 5 min, drain and set aside.
5. In large mixing bowl, combine garlic, onion, turkey, flax, ginger, soy sauce, 2 Tbsp water, and cilantro and mix well. Add bread crumbs and mix again. Fold in mushrooms gently. Make loaf and place in pan.
6. Optional: sprinkle top with soy and one green onion sliced. Place loaf on top rack of oven and noodles on lower rack. Bake for 25 min, or until inserted toothpick removes clear and meat feels firm when pressed. If noodles are not crispy, bake another 5 min.
7. Serve meatloaf alongside noodles, scattering carrots and green onions over top before serving.