Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Honey Mustard Chicken and Vegetables
4 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c honey
1/2 cup mustard (I used 1/2 regular and 1/2 Spicy brown)
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried parsley
4-6 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
3-5 parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced on an angle
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
About 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
About 1/3 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste, and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, basil, paprika, cumin and parsley. Mix well. Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the chicken, and brush to cover.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and brush with the remaining 1/2 of the honey mustard mixture. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
4. Meanwhile, Add oil to skillet and heat. Add carrots, parsnips garlic and green onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan and soften vegetables, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Uncover pan and sprinkle in flour, stir 1 minute or so, then stir in stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and honey. Let thicken to coat spoon.
6. Serve chicken with vegetables on side or over chicken
*caveat: for gluten intolerance, some spices do contain gluten. Be sure to read the labels!