Thursday, October 3, 2013
Lasagna (also includes dairy-free alternatives)
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb Italian sausage
7 cloves garlic
2-3 Tbsp EVOO
1 jar/can organic tomato paste
1 box/can diced tomatoes
1 box lasagna noodles, cooked
1 can tomato sauce
fresh oregano and basil to taste or Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 container fresh mushrooms
WITH DAIRY OPTION
1 16 oz ricotta cheese
mozarella cheese, shredded
parmesan cheese, shredded
WITHOUT DAIRY OPTION
silken tofu, drained
Non-dairy cheese mozzarella-like shreds (for ex daiya)
1. Heat EVOO over medium. Add garlic and sauté until golden and fragrant. Add onion and saute a bit more. Add beef and sausage. Season with Italian herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until browned.
2. Add all tomatoes, and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms soften and flavors merge (30 minutes or so...) Meanwhile, cook and dry noodles according to package directions.
3. For dairy-free option: mix 1lb package of tofu with half an 8 oz bag of mozzarella style shreds. Mix in Italian seasoning. This will replace the ricotta and cheese layers in the layering process.
4. Preheat oven to 400. Mix Italian seasoning with ricotta cheese. Using a 9x13 baking dish, layer beginning with sauce, noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, noodles, sauce, etc (about 3 layers). Vegan or dairy free- you may want to add extra non-dairy shredded cheese to some or all layers. End with small layer of cheese on top of noodles.
5. Bake at 400 until cheese slightly brown, about 30 min.
*Vegan alernatives often use eggplant in place of meat