Monday, July 22, 2013
Vegan French Toast with Cherry-Citrus Topping
4 oz dark sweet cherries, thawed and halved
4 dried apricot halves, diced
1 tsp orange zest
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp stevia
1/2 c plain non-dairy yogurt
4 peices of lighty toasted whole wheat bread
3/4 c almond milk
1/4 c flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c organic sugar
1/2 Tbsp corn starch
1. Prepare topping: In small saucepan, combine 1/4 c water, cherries and apricots and bring to boil on med-high. Boil for 20-30 sec to reduce slightly. Remove from heat, stir in stevia orange zest and vanilla; set aside.
2. Prepare toast: Mix all ingredients except for the bread in medium bowl and whisk.Heat non-stick pan.
3. Dunk pre-toasted bread in batter and plan onto pan, cooking 1-2 slices at a time for about 2 min each side.
4. To serve: divide cherry mixture evenly among bread, then top with yogurt and cinnamon!
* use a gluten free bread, such as Rudy's to make this a gluten free option; use stevia rather than sugar for sugar free