Sunday, July 1, 2012
Lentil Cabbage Soup with Smoked Sausage
1-2 lbs Cajun smoked sausage
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 tsp thyme
3 tsp cumin
2 cups lentils, dry
3 carrots, diced
2 robs celery, diced
1 head of cabbage, sliced small
1/2 onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
6 cups water
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown sausage in pot in oil. Once brown, Add onions, carrot, celery, garlic. Saute and stir frequently to prevent sticking or burning.
2. Once onions, translucent, add tomato paste, bay leaves, seasonings and saute for 1-2 more minutes.
3. Add lentils, broth, water, and bring to boil.
4. While water coming to boil, chop cabbage. Add to pot once boiling, salt and pepper to taste. Lower to simmer for approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until cabbage and lentils are tender.
* Can easily remove the sausage for a delicious vegan version!
** If you haven't seen my previous caveat on Cajun smoked sausage, the sausage we use is not store bought. It is made in LA by my family from fresh veal and pork, smoked by my dad. It does not taste the same with store bought, although it would work. I have also seen many recipes that use Italian sausage.