Thursday, November 8, 2012

Cream of Mushroom Soup Vegan and Eat Clean


Ingredients:

10 ounces mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 onion
generous pinch cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Fresh pepper to taste
3 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup vegetable broth (I made my own!)
3/4 cup non-dairy milk (such as almond or soy)

Directions:
1. Trim and discard the mushroom stems and chop the mushrooms into pieces.
2. Oil pan and heat it. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
3. Cook until mushrooms are very soft and exude their juices. Whisk the flour into the vegetable broth and add to the mushrooms.
4. Simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens.
5. Add the milk and simmer until thick, about 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust the seasonings

2 comments:

  1. Wow Ericka. I've seen you post things about this blog on facebook, but didn't realize this was actually your own blog. And whats weird is I was looking for a homemade cream of mushroom soup. I have so many recipes that call for it and dont make them. Igrew up eating Campbell soups in lots of recipes and not I can't stand that taste!! I will have to try this. Any idea how I could make cream of chicken and cream of celery? Jessica Bush

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica: for Cream of Chicken, I would do the same as above, eliminating the mushrooms and adding bell pepper, a dash of parsley, and using chicken stock or chicken broth! I have also heard of adding tiny chunks of cooked chicken to it, but haven't tried! I have a puree of celery soup http://eatingcleanallergenfree.blogspot.com/2011/11/ingredients-1-lb-fresh-celery-1-medium.html that can be eaten as soup or used in place of cream of celery. You could also add milk and flour to give it more of a "creamy" taste. This also seems to be a common recipe, but I haven't tried: http://www.grouprecipes.com/25868/vegan-cream-of-celery-soup.html
    Happy Cooking!!

    ReplyDelete