Wednesday, May 16, 2012
1 1/2 lbs boneless, organic chicken breast, cut to 2" squares
1/2 c whole wheat flour for dredging
2 Tbsp milled flax (optional)
4 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
8 oz baby bella or white mushrooms
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 box / can crushed tomatoes
1 jar/ can tomato paste
3/4 c dry white wine
3/4 c orgainc free-range chicken broth
Crushed red pepper to taste
2 tsp fresh oregano
2 leaves fresh basil
(additional "Italian seasoning" or more oregano and basil may be needed depending on your taste buds)
1. Season raw chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle liberally with paprika. Dredge chicken in the flour mixed with flax to coat lightly. In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp EVOO, and cook chicken until just brown, about 5 min per side. Set aside.
2.Add remaining 2 Tbsp oil to the "dirty" pot. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic. Saute until onion is tender. Add mushrooms and cook about 5 min
3. Add wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 min.
4. Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, broth, red peper flakes, oregano, basil.
5. Return chicken to pot and turn them to coat on the sauce. Bring to simmer until chicken is cooked, about 30 min.
6. Optional: serve over linguine