Friday, March 9, 2012
Stuffed Chicken with Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
3 red bell peppers
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cup low sodium, organic chicken broth
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 jalepeno, seeded and minced
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
4 boneless, skinless organicchicken breast
1 small container goat cheese (optional)
8-10 asparagus spears, trimmed (and halved if large)
1. Preheat oven to 400 deg. Roast red bell peppers on baking sheet for 20 min. Turn and roast another 30 min.
2. Remove peppers from oven and place under inverted glass bowl to steam for 10 min. With pairing knife, scrape off brown skin, halve, remove stems and seed. Slice 1 bell pepper into strips, set aside the remaining.
3. Place uncut bell peppers, oil, vinegar, garlic, and jalapeno into blender. Puree until smooth.
4. Pour blended sauce into sauce pan over med low heat. Add Italian seasonings, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 min.
5. Meanwhile, cut chicken breasts nearly in half, so it folds open like a book. Inside each spread approx 1 Tbsp goat cheese on each half of breast. Add 3 to 4 asparagus spears and divide the cut bell peppers between the 4 breasts. Close by folding top half over the bottom, over the sandwich filling.
6. Transfer chicken to casserole dish. Pour 1/2 of the roasted pepper sauce over breasts and bake for 40 min, or until chicken cooked through but cheese is still soft and sauce moist.
7. Pour additional sauce over breasts before serving, if desired.
*Caveat: for those with milk allergies, we made this with and without the goat cheese. It was still absolutely delicious without!!! Make sure your broth is gluten free if this is important for you! We use Pacific organic and it is.