Thursday, October 11, 2012
Radicchio Flat Bread
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
Pinch of sugar
1 cup organic, unbleached flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and drizzling
2 Treviso radicchio (5 ounces each), quartered lengthwise
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1. Stir yeast, water and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 min.
2 Add flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and oil until combined. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead with floured hands until smooth, about 2 minutes.
3. Transfer to oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 20 min in a warm, draft-free spot. Preheat oven to 400 deg.
4. Divide dough into quarters. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 peice of dough to 8x5". Transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough
5. Divide radicchio among flatbread, and gently press into dough. Drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Bake until flatbread is golden and crisp, about 15 min.
7. Meanwhile, whisk ricotta in a small bowl until lightened.
8. Once completed, drizzle flatbread with oil, re-season if needed. Serve flatbread with ricotta.
*caveat: serve without ricotta for vegan or dairy-free diet. Still delicious!