Thursday, September 27, 2012
1- 1 1/2 lb organic chicken breasts
4 tsp olive oil
fresh ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 zucchini, trimmed and sliced 1/4" thick lengthwise
1/2 cup pimento stuffed green olives and Kalamata olives
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup roasted red peppers, finely diced
1/2 small sweet onion, finely diced
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp each oregano and parsley
sliced sourdough or pumpernickel
(low fat) provolone cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 and ensure one rack is on top third and one on bottom third of oven.
2. Brush chicken with 1 tsp oil and season with pepper and half of garlic. Place on parchment-lined sheet and roast on bottom rack in oven for approximately 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, brush zucchini strips with 1 tsp oil and season with pepper. Arrange in single layer on parchment lined sheet and roast on top rack for 25 min.
4. Once cooked, remove zucchini and chicken and let cool.
5. While roasting, prepare olive salad: coarsely chop olives and transfer to medium bowl. (I like to add a touch of the olive juices :) Add remaining garlic, 2 tsp oil, celery, red peppers, onion, vinegar, oregano and parsley
6. Once chicken is cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces.
7. To assemble sandwich, spread olive salad on bottom half of bread. Layer with zucchini, cheese and chicken, then top with olive salad and bread.
*you can also do this with turkey, and it is a great way to use up leftover holiday turkey.