Monday, October 29, 2012
2 1/2 c unbleached flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c stevia
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice or pumpkin pie spice
1 c unrefined coconut oil
15 oz pumpkin puree
4 Tbsp maple syrup
8 Tbsp water
1 c. walnuts (I put these in the food processor and grind to small pieces for the kiddos!)
2/3 c. flaked coconut
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg.
2. Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Combine, but do not over-stir
3. Fold in nuts
4. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes
*You could also make this into muffins!
3/4 c unbleached organic flour
1/4 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
1/4 c. stevia
1/4 c. agave nectar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c water
1/2 c unrefined coconut oil
1/2 vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients separately. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. Add to small pan, and bake for 25 minutes.
*If you are making this for more than just a few people, I recommend doubling the recipe...it turns out pretty small!
*For extra nutritional punch, I add 1 Tbsp chia seeds or 1 Tbsp flax seeds, which also adds a new ambiance of flavor!
Thursday, October 11, 2012
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
Pinch of sugar
1 cup organic, unbleached flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and drizzling
2 Treviso radicchio (5 ounces each), quartered lengthwise
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
1. Stir yeast, water and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 min.
2 Add flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and oil until combined. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead with floured hands until smooth, about 2 minutes.
3. Transfer to oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 20 min in a warm, draft-free spot. Preheat oven to 400 deg.
4. Divide dough into quarters. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 peice of dough to 8x5". Transfer to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough
5. Divide radicchio among flatbread, and gently press into dough. Drizzle with oil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Bake until flatbread is golden and crisp, about 15 min.
7. Meanwhile, whisk ricotta in a small bowl until lightened.
8. Once completed, drizzle flatbread with oil, re-season if needed. Serve flatbread with ricotta.
*caveat: serve without ricotta for vegan or dairy-free diet. Still delicious!
1 red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small bunch of chives, chopped
1 medium bunch of basil
3 bay leaves
24 oz tomato sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 cartons chicken broth (can use vegetable as well)
3 parsnips (or use 6 carrots instead if you prefer)
1 small eggplant
2 cans kidney beans (I use 1 red and one white) Look for BPA free cans!
1 pack frozen peas
1 pack frozen corn
1 package mushrooms
3 stocks celery
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
1/2 c barley
1. Saute onions and garlic in oil. Add herbs.
2. Add tomato products and stock to pot and bring to soft boil.
3. Add beans and all other veggies and barley to the pot. Cook at a soft boil until all vegetables are cooked through. Regular barley will take about 45 min to cook completely.
*caveat: vegetable broth to make this vegan. You can replace barley with quinoa or with clean pasta. Serve with radicchio flat bread and whipped ricotta cheese